[C320-list] Stuffing box question

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 25 17:10:20 PST 2020

 Jack it is a very easy job, but I haven't done it in the water.  My neighbor with a 320 did it as you described.  Have a long strip of inner tube ready to wrap around the shaft log end to control seepage as soon as you disengage the large nut. Then use zip ties to hold it temporarily.
Have 3 separate wraps of new packing (I recommend Gore GFO) ready. Cut the ends at a 45 degree angle to the shaft so that these ends blend together well.  All the wraps are fed carefully inside the cleaned out big nut, but with the cuts on each new wrap being situated 120 degrees apart. A set of cheap tools (like dental piks) work great to pull out the old packing. Harbor Freight has cheap sets. Carefully nudge the new wraps of packing into the nut with something blunt.  Then hand tighten the nut back into the shaft log.  Obviously, make sure all  threads are nice and clean. Do not tighten the nut a lot until you run the engine for a little while.  Gradually snug the nut tighter over a couple iterations of running until you reach a balance where it doesn't leak when not running and seeps very slightly when running.  I keep a sponge under my shaft and just wrong it out after running.
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 (#32)