[C320-list] Trapezoidal Hatch Lens Replacement

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 19:03:55 PST 2020

I finished the trapezoidal hatch lens replacement.  Pictures are posted in
my gallery photos.   I ordered a 36”x 24” sheet of smoked cast acrylic from
estreet plastics.  There are plenty of other retailers of this material,
just ensure you are buying cast acrylic and not extruded acrylic.   I used
the old lens as a template.  Traced the lens shape onto the new acrylic and
then rough cut on a bandsaw leaving a 1/8-1/4” margin on all sides.
Similarly I drilled the latch handle holes smaller than the originals.   I
then taped the old lens to the new material using double  sided tape and
template routed the new lens to exact size of the old lens. After routing
the lens, I put a small 1/16” bevel on the outside edge of the lens to
provide a smoother transition from the caulk.  This is probably
unnecessary.   I finished installation of the lens using the same procedure
that Christian Caperton describes in an earlier post.

Troy Dunn
Hull #514