[C320-list] Rear Storage in Catalina 320

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 11 06:05:26 PDT 2020

Hi Tom:

I keep the port stern locker relatively clear because it provides important access to many critical items – refrigeration, the steering column, fuel shutoff, the digital compass for my EV-100 autopilot, a Racor 500 fuel filter I installed to replace the headachy shorty filter under the aft bunk, wiring, etc.

You need to be able to get in and out of there quickly. On cruises, I do put garbage bags down there.

The stern locker holds items I need only occasionally. A big bag of used line. A big bag of lifejackets. The 110-volt cord. Extra fenders. Spare cushions. As well as some other stuff I probably will find some day and go, “Aha, that’s where it is.”

I would be careful about adding permanent shelving because you will also need to crawl down there some day for access to hoses, the fuel tank and some other things.

Lastly, I would be very, very careful about storing a generator or anything else gasoline-related down there. That’s a big fire hazard because fumes or leaks could turn your boat into one large bomb. I don’t believe the fridge or other electronics down there are ignition-protected.

Google gas explosion boat and you will see startling photos of boats with their decks blown off from small gasoline or propane leaks that encountered a sparky piece of electronics. Your insurance company would consider citing it as a reason not to pay you in the event if an explosion.

I have a board I installed along the port side between the stern rail and a stanchion. I use it to tie fuel canisters and an extra water jug on trips. If I had a generator, I would put it in a bag and tie along there, too.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphon Cruising Club of Tampa Bay