[C320-list] Installing new cabinet latches

David Veeneman davidv at veeneman.com
Wed Oct 14 13:42:16 PDT 2020

I am installing new cabinet latches (Catalina Direct part #Z3093 <https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-350/interior/cabinet-and-drawer-latch/?SearchResults=1>) in my galley. There is a picture of the latch at:

https://www.catalinadirect.com/images/products/2641/Z3093_S07_1529_lg.jpg <https://www.catalinadirect.com/images/products/2641/Z3093_S07_1529_lg.jpg>

The latch attaches to the back of the cabinet door, and uses the existing hole in the cabinet door. The latch has a knob which forces a bar upward when pressed. The problem is that the woodwork at the top of the cabinet frame is too thick for the bar to slide behind, which is why I’ll need to rout a small pocket (channel) for the bar to slide into.

Here’s my question: How do I determine where to rout the woodwork—how do I align the latch?

At this point, I’m thinking about:

(1) Mount the latch on the door;

(2) Paint the top of the bar that slides up when the latch is engaged;

(3) While the paint is wet, close the cabinet door, then push the latch to raise the bar up to the woodwork, which will (hopefully) transfer a paint impression of the end of the bar onto the wood frame above the cabinet; and

(4) Pull the latch to lower the bar, open the door, and remove any remaining paint from the latch bar.

At that point I should have a rectangular paint mark to serve as a guide for routing out a pocket for the bar to slide into.

To those of you who are more experienced at cabinetry than I am: Does that make sense? Is it practical? Is there an easier way to get the job done? Thanks for your help.

--
David Veeneman
Dana Point, CA