[C320-list] Furling main control line

Joe Luciano jnluciano at comcast.net
Tue Oct 20 13:37:51 PDT 2020

Kroil is a great product for removing fasteners and I’ve used it plenty of times with an impact driver.  However, in your situation, I’d be very careful not to booger up the fastener or snap it off.  I had a similar experience with the Edson pedestal, aluminum housing with Stainless steel fasteners.  I would strongly suggest using some heat to break the bond.  You don’t have to apply a ton of heat, but the previous comment is right on.  Use the difference in thermal expansion between the two metals to break the bond.  This has a much better chance of working in this situation than the Kroil from my experience.  The aluminum will spread the heat in a hurry, so a little propane torch in the right place may make all the difference in breaking that bond.

Joe Luciano