[C320-list] Pre-Purchase Survey Recommendations - Need Advice

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 22 16:50:09 PDT 2020

Mike:

View the survey as a sunk cost. Whatever it cost you, it saved you 10 times as much.

Troy is right. I have spent tons of time working on my 320. But I am retired, have plenty of time and enjoy tinkering with boats. You obviously have a different situation. Also, my 320, while neglected, had only been daysailed a few times a year for 20 years.

The original sails are still crisp. The gelcoat gleams. The diesel had about 500 hours on it and ran like new after I performed the needed maintenance. I knew it would be a good boat once I whittled down the list. I’m pretty sure I could get 50-55K for it if I ever decided to sell.

>From your survey, you could easily plow 20-25K and hundreds of hours of your time into the boat. Would it be a gleaming dock princess at that point or just another neglected boat that got brought back to life?

Properly maintaining a boat should cost you $3-5K a year, some of it fixing problems and some of it doing needed upgrades. If you don’t do it, the list grows quickly, as does the cost of doing them.

Before I bought my 320, I looked at a Catalina 34 in condition similar to yours. The price started out in the 40s, dropped to 35K and then to about 20K as I kept saying no, but I still couldn’t bring myself to say yes.

I knew that no matter how much I did, it would still be a tired old boat.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10