[C320-list] Rudder raplacement

William Russell wcr6450 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 06:20:12 PDT 2021

My next-door neighbor recently got a horrifying call - his 1997 C-320 had
been blown off its jack stands and was lying on its side in the marina(!)
Upon investigation, it's not too badly damaged, but the rudder shaft was
bent and the fiberglass cracked.  He needs a replacement rudder.
It looks like he has two choices: an OEM from Catalina, or a "HDPE spade
rudder" by Ruddercraft through Catalina Direct.  They make a lot of claims
about the superiority of this "upgrade," but I wondered if anyone on this
list has any experience or opinion about those rudders.
https://www.catalinadirect.com/images/features/Rudder%20Craft%20Spade%20Rudders.pdf?CFID=41234104&CFTOKEN=4fbd46bab4060a1a-573661E1-FE22-7A3B-0C4FF6C4D8055188
Any and all advice appreciated.
Bill Russell
*Little Wing,* 1998 C-320 #545