[C320-list] Docking Tool

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Mon Apr 26 08:02:49 PDT 2021

Tom,

I am a card-carrying member of the "my wife had rotator cuff surgery" club.

Let me just tell you that you are very optimistic to think she will be able to help at all with boating this season. Mine had the same surgery (with torn bicep repair as well) in May 2019 and we were unable to really do much sailing without an additional crew member until very late in the season. And when we did, I was the primary person doing everything because she was still unable to do certain things.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Jeff - this is a bad idea. She will be trying to tug on the docking stick without being able to grab anything with her other arm which will be in a sling. A recipe for falling down (or overboard) and causing re-injury to the healing joint. They really want it immobilized (and her on light duty) during the healing process. It was almost an entire year and lots of PT before my wife had most of her range of motion and strength back in that shoulder.

I'm quite sure that if you describe to her doctor what you're envisioning, you would get a strong recommendation against it. It's time to look for a sailing buddy and let your wife be a passenger this season.

--
Doug Treff
doug at treff.us