[C320-list] How soon after launch?

kskis at aol.com kskis at aol.com
Thu Apr 29 06:07:52 PDT 2021

Not sure if this should be a separate thread but I thought I would relay my recent launching/splashing experience in an effort to maybe help someone else.  Two seasons back I had the yard do my winterizing on the hard.  Unbeknownst to me, they disconnected the raw water hose normally attached to a raw water pump the prior owner installed to clean off the anchor.  I have never used this pump and normally kept the through-hull for this pump in the closed position.  Now two seasons later, I did the fall and spring commissioning and must have opened the through-hull while on the hard in the fall.  Recently the yard splashed the boat a week earlier than announced which prevented me from my normal checking of through-hulls.  The yard splashed Harmony with this through-hull open, seawater came in though the open connection at the pump, and flooded the forward starboard v-birth locker as well as the battery compartment.  By luck, the water drained into the bilge but didn't damage the batteries (stopped an inch below the terminals!).  Lesson learned:  make sure all through-hulls are closed prior to launch and assume the yard will NOT find all ot them.  Second lesson learned:  If the yard does your winterizing or commissioning make sure all connections are re-connected prior to splashing.  Neil Kornblatt Harmony #973 Greenport, NY