[C320-list] Waste deck fitting leak

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 3 20:00:48 PDT 2021

Let me be a dissenter here, Sara.

For many of us, everything on the boat is 15 or 20 years old. If you subscribe to the theory that everything of that age has to go, you will end up with an entirely new boat … and a lot less money in the bank.

Yeah, my fridge had to be replaced when I bought my boat, and my macerator pump, and my shower pump, and my bilge pump, and my rigging, but there are many items on my boat that are functioning quite well despite their age. Take the time to examine them before you replace them.

Hoses will show signs of wear and drip long before they split open. They are designed to avoid catastrophic failure. Carry an old bicycle tube and some hose clamps. If one goes, you can patch it until you get to the next port.

My propane hose is 20 years old and appears fine. So are the hoses to the water heater. My water lines work well. The hose from the anchor locker to the through hull looks like new. The scupper hoses are great, although I had to replace one because the PO cut it before the bank repossessed the boat.

I did replace all of the hoses on the diesel when I bought the boat. And I replaced my fuel system from the tank to the fuel pump. I hated the stock fuel filter. Once I replaced it with a Racor 500, I thought, What the hell, do it all. The old hoses didn’t fit anyway.

And never trust a hose clamp. Even though they claim to be stainless steel, some parts of them never are. I learned this the difficult way, when the clamp broke on the hose leading from the holding tank to the through hull. Yecch.

I guess what I’m saying is that replacing stuff can become an addiction on a boat. It’s not always necessary.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10