[C320-list] Buying a 1997 C320

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Mon Aug 9 08:40:27 PDT 2021

Hi Kim,

First, I love the C400. It's always been a dream of mine to move up to one. Interesting that you're moving down to a C320.

You'll see a write-up in this thread that was my original article, now turned into a two-part blog entry. I'll link below.

http://savvysailor.blogspot.com/2016/05/buying-catalina-320-part-1.html

http://savvysailor.blogspot.com/2016/05/buying-catalina-320-part-2.html

It's a 24-year-old boat, so there could be many things nearing the end of their useful life span, most of them are repairable as long as the structure is sound. The biggest thing (with any boat) is to look for signs of water leaks and be suspicious of the condition of the core in the deck wherever there is an active leak.

One example of a maintenance issue but not a show-stopper: Be sure to look in the port aft locker and identify the refrigerator compressor. It's sitting on a shelf along the hull. Many people have discovered that the fridge compressor has started to rust away from water drips. Mine rusted away because the propane locker tub above it was leaking rainwater onto it. When the control board got wet, all the magic smoke escaped and it stopped working. Not a show-stopper by any means, but if your reefer is dead or damaged, you'll want to make a suitable allowance in your offer. The parts alone (From West Marine) cost me $1300. If you're hiring someone to do the work, add labor costs.

And be sure to fix the source of the leak as well.

That reminds me... I should update the article...

Good luck!

--
Doug Treff
doug at treff.us