[C320-list] Water Leak

Jeff Smith svsailmates512 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 09:43:37 PDT 2021

To all,

To close the loop on my water leak/potential water line replacement, I finally traced the leak to the water heater. So, I re-used a whale fitting that I already owned to re-attach the aft water tank to the supply line running to the water pump (my shut-off valves have been relocated under the galley sink). I also simply removed the water heater. For our sailing, we have hardly used the water heater. I may eventually go back and install a tankless water heater, though I realize that would hamper me while cruising, or even simply replace with a similar model so we can get engine-heated hot water if we are on the hook for extended periods. For now, though, I am happy not to replace it.

A few observations.

1. I had visual rust on my water heater in two different places but it appeared to be leaking from the seam where the bracket holds the water heater down. I did not take the water heater apart but I assume the inner liner rusted through.

2. My water pump would cycle regularly, and most recently, more frequently. I took that to be a sign of a leak in one of the water tanks or lines. It now seems it was the pump constantly refilling the water heater.

3. This is the water that has been accumulating in the grid system under the bilge pan that also fills up below the waste holding tank.

4. As others in the Association have noted, removing the cabinets is a very simple process and gives you access to everything. I removed the cabinets, filled the water tanks (after looking for any flow of water from the forward and aft tanks and finding none), and then simply watched to see what happened (I also suspected a leak in the filter on my water pump).

5. Last thing - while the whale fittings are okay (and I think I found a suitable replacement at Lowes), I will definitely re-plumb my boat with PEX and stainless steel crimp rings if I notice additional problems. With the cabinet out, I don’t think there will be any issues using the crimping tool. Having commercial off-the-shelf fittings that are inexpensive and do not need to be special ordered (ignoring my caveat that Lowes may carry the fittings) will be worth it. I will also not need to worry about the fitting itself leaking, as I have read that Whale fittings do have a tendency to go bad over time.

Now, if I can just figure out how to cut new access ports in my water tanks. My previous owner puttied those, ostensibly to stop leaks from the caps. It would be really handy to be able to open those ports.

Cheers,
Jeff
’94, #121