[C320-list] Commitment

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 3 14:37:07 PST 2021

Hi Ron:

The farther south you go, the more problematic 6.5 feet of draft becomes.

On the Atlantic, you can make it to Biscayne Bay OK with stops in the West Palm Beach and Pompano Beach inlets. Farther north in Florida, you would be fine on the ICW. But you won’t make it through northern Biscayne Bay due to shoaling around Haulover Cut.

It’s possible to sail Hawk Channel on the Atlantic side to Key West, stopping to grab mooring balls at night near the reef. (No anchoring allowed near the reefs.) You probably could get into Boot Key Harbor in Marathon, but I would check with the harbormaster before trying.

The Florida Bay side would be impossible.

The tricky part is when the winds kick up and you have 20-25 knots out of the north or east, assuming you would be sailing in late winter/spring. Once you are in the Atlantic or Hawk Channel, there’s often at least 30 to 40 miles between anchorages And the mooring balls can be a rough place to be in choppy weather.

So you have to do a certain amount of planning and, above all, have patience. I know people who have waited 10 days to make the 40-mile crossing through the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows