[C320-list] AIS

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Fri Jan 8 11:18:34 PST 2021

Jeff,

When I went through my electronics upgrade, I chose the B&G V50 radio with a wireless H50 handset for cockpit radio access. This is a receive-only setup and I often wish I'd gone with the more expensive send-receive functionality.

Since then, B&G has introduced a new product, the V-60B VHF radio with Class B AIS built-in and it still has the capability to add a remote wireless handset. HOWEVER, it's quite expensive at $1100 MSRP and the remote wireless handset is extra. I didn't research the cost of the Garmin, so I can't comment but I wanted to mention B&G. I have a Garmin chart plotter and the integration across the NMEA-2000 backbone works great between the two different brands.

The other thing to consider about the wireless handset is that with the C320 open transom, there is a chance that the handset could be lost overboard easily unless you tether it to your helm station somehow. It also needs to be recharged, and they provide a 12V cradle that can be added to your boat and wired in for charging.

If I were doing it today, I'd consider the V-60-B or the Garmin if the cost were reasonably close to the cost of a separate AIS and splitter. The idea of not needing a splitter because it's all in the radio is a big plus for me since that's one less component to fail, and fewer connections in the radio antenna wire which could degrade your signal.

However, in order to get the AIS data to your chart plotter, I'd imagine you'll need to upgrade the NMEA network to NMEA-2000. The real benefit to getting AIS into the chart plotter is to have the AIS vessels show up on your map. That's a powerful feature and worth the upgrade of your network.

--
Doug Treff
doug at treff.us