[C320-list] Second Propane Tank

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 24 17:24:34 PST 2021

The problem with the one-pound cannisters is storage. Given how inexpensive they are, they obviously are not well made and can quickly be subject to corrosion near saltwater.

I used to keep a couple in a vinyl bag under the bimini on a previous sailboat. I had one go off and spew all of its gas in the cockpit while I was setting up the BBQ. I was really happy that I was not down below when that happened. It would have blown up the boat. So you don’t want to store them in the cabin or a cockpit locker.

I bought a replacement propane tank (10-pound, I think) in 2020 with plans to carry it on my covid-canceled cruise. With a 10- to 12-week cruise planned for this spring (covid vaccine this Friday!) , I plan to carry it along the lifelines along with extra jugs of diesel.

With an extra connector and hose, it should do double duty between the BBQ and backup to the main tank.

I tied a six-inch-wide plastic plank between the stern pulpit and the first stanchion as extra support for bungeeing  this tanks to the lifelines.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10