[C320-list] Companionway hatch repair

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 26 10:27:55 PST 2021

 I used Pettit Captain's Z-Spar Traditional Amber Varnish 1015 to do my hatches one time very well after good sanding (8 coats) and then I did a slight re-coat/touchup last year.  I also just did my inside steps with it.  I sprinkled some fine grit into the last coats on the steps to give the surface some non-slip consistency. One quart did all of my applications so far.
I think it did a great job and was pretty easy to use. I applied all with just cheap foam brushes and didn't get runs by not over-applying and carefully brushing it out.  I did it over the winter in my basement area.  It has a strong odor, so I had to crack the window but still maintain the heat.
Here is more guidance than you will ever want  https://www.practical-sailor.com/boat-maintenance/paints/the-best-marine-varnish-exterior-wood-finish-tests?MailingID=24&st=email&sc=WeekInReview020220&utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=What+s+the+Best+Way+to+Clean+Marine+Rope%3F&utm_campaign=WIR20200202-GelcoatRestoration
Here is info I found from Catalina about interior finishes:https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/feature/192/interior-finish-history.cfm
https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/feature/257_653/varnish-information-and-instructions.cfm
It is nice to have refinished teak.  I made hatchboards out of regular wood and just painted them that I put on the boat in the winter (and take my real boards home to protect them).
I am considering trying this other product that sounds easier to apply and less toxic TotalBoat Halcyon Marine Varnish (jamestowndistributors.com)

Dave Hupe

1994 C320 (#32)