[C320-list] Optimal Speed and Lower RPM concerns- Yanmar 3GM30F and Autoprop

David Cushman ittips99 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 4 17:42:13 PDT 2021

I recently installed an Autoprop of the size recommended by King
Propulsion. We just completed an 8 day trip with some days that had
significant motoring and  I am extremely happy with the performance over
the three blade fixed that came with the boat. My boat speed and the
engine RPM closely match the data furnished by Dick Walker, previously
posted on this discussion forum. I notice that my fuel consumption seems
to be higher at each RPM setting than when using the Catalina standard
factory wheel. This makes sense to me. It is still much better economy
than before. What have users found to be the optimal cruising speed for
fuel economy on longer trips? Are there any concerns running the Yanmar
3GM30F at the lower RPMs since hull speed is met and the much higher RPM
is no longer needed? I know that diesels are supposed to run under
adequate load and I have read several blogs with slightly mixed
messages. To me it seems that the feathering of the prop assures that
the self pitching keeps the engine properly loaded at the lower RPM.
Opinions and observations are welcome.

Dave Cushman

It Tips