[C320-list] C320-list Digest, Vol 4049, Issue 1

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 6 05:53:32 PDT 2021

Am I correct in assuming that engine temperature should be an accurate gauge of whether you have a clog? That has always been my thinking. My Yanmar has always run about 175 degrees on my gauge.

I’ve never had a problem with clogging on either of my Yanmars over 12 years, but that may be a product of my sailing conditions. In Florida, you end up doing some fairly long ICW motorizing runs, and it’s common to do some long motoring runs due to headwinds or lack of wind.

Those should be sufficient to blow out any carbon buildup. I do those usually at 2,500 to 2,800 rpm. Any higher and the diesel just slurps up the fuel without much extra speed.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10