[C320-list] Seacock question / AC Install

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri Jul 16 08:06:36 PDT 2021

Jack,

Since you're in Florida you're probably considering a 16k unit. Ducting a 16k unit from the Vberth to the Aft cabin would be a chore for sure and you'd lose quite a bit of storage in the process but it could be done.

The installation in the port locker would be much easier and you could still use the seacock in the head, although there are better places to install a dedicated one at next haulout.  Here are some things I did which made the installation a bit easier.  Note that I used a lot of info from Warren and Bruce in getting the project started.

1. The propane drain line thruhull on the transom was used as the cooling water discharge.

2. The propane drain line was moved to travel downward and tee in right near the center transom scupper drain thru hull.  This eliminated any possibility of the propane drain being water blocked like the original one frequently experienced.  So, win-win there as no new holes in the boat.

3. The cooling pump for the AC needs to be at or below the water line since they don't self-prime very well.  I installed a winterizing "T" in the intake line between the thruhull and the pump to allow me break a water lock.  Happens occasionally, so really glad I have that otherwise, it could take some time with the thruhull open for the water to displace enough air for the pump to prime.  (Importance of getting the pump low as possible.)

4. The port locker is a pretty decent place for snaking the 120v and control panel signal lines over to the electrical panel.  (either behind the cabinets or down and up under the nav station).

5. Ducting is a piece of cake.  One 6" duct vented out over the fridge with the return in the aft cabin by your feet.  Relatively simple to box in there.

6. Have to dig a pair of 12v wires out of the gelcoat that run up to the light over the fridge so that you can cut your main cabin AC vent..  Not problem because they duct-taped the wires in place, then gelcoated over them. So, they weren't difficult to find and move out of the way of the duct.

7. Depending on the height of the AC unit, you may have to slightly alter the floor of the breadbox over the fridge to clear the compressor.  Wasn't too bad.

8. Really recommend the mini-sump based Sauermann SI-30 mini-condensate remover pump.  Super quiet and we ran a 1/4" line that "T"s into the cooling discharge line.

In hindsight I'd install it this way again.  Keeps the aft cabin cool as well as the whole boat. It was easy to add 1" engine compartment insulation below and all around the inside of the AC Box. Doesn't get in the way for servicing anything. Be sure to read Warren/Bruce's article on installation for ideas regardless of where you install.

Given the limited storage on the 320, I think this is the best location tradeoff since it uses up the forward space in the port locker that is least accessible.

Other installation areas:
--------------------------
1: Starboard aft locker.
   Pros: Counters the Port List
   Cons: Ducting is longer and more complex.
         Air return is right by your head, so it's going to be louder.
         Longer 120v and control line runs to the panel.
         A/C must be removed to remove the fuel tank or even access the cleanout/sender in some boats.
         Pretty much kills installing below deck linear drive autopilot. (This thing's the cat's ass by the way :)
2: Port aft locker next to Fridge compressor.
   This is the worst possible place. Please, Just Don't.  Kills access to rudder post/steering quadrant for maintenance, scupper hoses inaccessible.
   Very limited access to Fuel Tank, Super difficult to service/clean the Fridge compressor. Safety nightmare in my opinion and really, just why?

Cheers!

C320 #809 Woodbine II
C355 #17 Solstice