[C320-list] Seacock question / AC Install

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 16 11:07:35 PDT 2021

Hi Onat:

I’m kicking over the question of how large a unit to get and the ducting. I keep hearing 16,000 BTU and multiple ducts, but I just don’t see it.

This summer, we’ve been getting by with a 5,000 BTU window unit when we stay on the boat. Well, on July 4, with temperatures into the mid 90s and high humidity in western Florida, it kept the cabin comfortable all day and damn near froze us out at night in the aft cabin until we turned it down to low.

Window units are notoriously inefficient because they draw in hot, wet air – and all AC was coming from the cockpit entry – so I’m thinking that 10,000 BTU with one duct will work just fine.

We have a large Bimini and dodger that cover a third of the boat, and our ports and hatches are tinted, so we don’t lose as much heat as some. The inside liner also provides some insulation. In addition, I have blinds I can hang to cover the ports.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.