[C320-list] White Smoke and Overheating Diagnosis (A Lesson)

P.F. Ross pfrstl at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 12:05:37 PDT 2021

Christian,

Very similar thing here.

We were leaving on a multi-day cruise, boat was fully packed and we were
quite happy to finally be getting underway.  I started the engine an hour
before we shoved off to get some heat on it and an instant after if fired
up I heard a light thump, not necessarily alarming but different.  One
thing I have always done is to look at exhaust water (and listen to it as
well) after the engine has started.  After 26 years of doing this, I knew
what it should look and sound like.  The small stream coming out told me
something was wrong and I shut down the engine.

I went below to check the strainer and thru-hull.  Strainer good, but when
I exercised the valve, I could not close it all the way so it was obvious I
had sucked up something.  Since the thru hull is a 90 degree elbow
configuration, I figured It would not be easy to run a wire through so I
thought I might be able to flush it out with a water hose.  I removed the
hose from the strainer end (and found very little flow) and was able to
make a good seal against the nozzle of my dock water hose and backflushed
it.  I then found the thru hull valve would now move normally through its
full 90 degree travel so patted myself on the back.

We cast off but I was still cautious heading down our canal to the bay.
Good thing, too, since before we got to the end of our canal, water temp
was rapidly climbing.  Fortunately, we were able to get turned around and
back to our dock without overheating although water temp was higher than I
had ever seen it (200 on my gauge).

At this point, it was about 2 o'clock on Fri afternoon and our trip was
about to be scuttled.  Had we been in the Gulf, I would have gone in
myself, but the dark tannin waters of our canal are just a little too
creepy for me.  Amazingly, I was able to get our diver out on very short
notice and he pulled most of (albeit somewhat shredded) a 13 gal white
trash bag out of the engine cooling water inlet.  We were underway at 3pm
and barely made it to our first stop before dark.

So, all's well that ends well although next time our boat is on the hard I
will look into a scoop strainer.

Frank Ross
Beta Wave #206
Naples, FL