[C320-list] Refrigeration Diagnostics Assistance

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 21 12:02:08 PDT 2021

Hi Ken:

The unit should be in the port stern locker. I don’t know what model fridge you have, so it would be a good idea to get some ID off the unit and look up the manual.

Usually, there are three possibilities. 1) No power is getting to the unit. 2) The thermostat is dead. 3) The unit has died of old age.

The first thing to check (after disconnecting the 110 volt cord) is the electrical panel. Use a multimeter or test light to make sure that adequate voltage (12+) is entering and coming out of the breaker. It’s also possible the one of the red wires came off the breaker.

The Cold Machine that came with my boat also had one or two car-type fuses on the small computer board mounted on the Cold Machine. The manual should tell you how to disconnect it, test it and determine whether the thermostat is bad.

If the unit is bad, which is very possible after 18 years, the best choice is just to replace it with a new unit. They are much more efficient and draw a lotless amperage.

Good luck.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.