[C320-list] Through hull for new AC unit

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 18:20:42 PDT 2021

Couple thoughts.

Thru hulls are too easy to add and I can’t imagine it’s cheaper to go the
manifold route.  Besides, you also need an outlet so…nah, keep it simple.
We have a brand new Dometic Turbo 12K.  drop in replacement for the DX-12
we had. I did replace all hoses as a preventative maintenance procedure.  I
ordered MPI 5/8” aircon hoses.   Not easy to source, we ended up buying a
box of 50’ hose but this is truly "the good stuff".  The electronics for
the AC are  All SMX-2 compatible on the control side so didn’t have to
replace the control panel.   IF you spend any time living on the hard in
coldish climates (probably not an issue in FL), check out Flagship marines
products.   They use the good old fashion hair dryer approach for heat
which means you don’t need water for the heating function AND one less part
to break (the reversing valve) on the HVAC side.   It was tempting but who
am I kidding…I'm not sleeping in the boat for fun in the winter.

As far as surveyors go.  Jonathan Sands is in Fort Lauderdale last time I
checked. We flew him up to Maryland to survey Wonky Dog on the
recommendation  of friends.  We had a fantastic experience and would gladly
pay the airfare again to have a proper and unbiased marine surveyor look at
our boat.  Agree that asking around with the folks selling boats can get
sketchy and although I suspect most of the surveyors are fine..it does feel
a bit like the whole business is a circular argument.  Kinda like the
bareboat certification process…

FWIW

Troy Dunn
Hull #514