[C320-list] Perkins motor oil filler

Mark Cole boatnboot at me.com
Wed Mar 3 09:54:15 PST 2021

David;

You are correct.  If you open each cap, you will find that the metal cap opens just like the radiator cap on a car - you need to push down while turning (on a cold engine only!).  You should be able to stick your finger into that opening and see/feel coolant.  This should be a regular prestart check on your engine right along with checking oil level.  I don’t trust just looking at the level of coolant in the overflow container.

The black cap on the left is the oil fill.  When filling your oil, put in only as much as you got out and then start checking oil level on the dip stick and slowly add small amounts until you get to the safe level marking on the dip stick.  It isn’t good for the engine to run with too much oil.  Pre-fill the oil filter with a little clean oil before spinning it on and smear a little on the O-ring on the filter, but you can’t fill it completely as you have to turn it horizontal to screw it on.

Mark
Fiddler’s Green #8
Another Perkins M30