[C320-list] Tightening Steering Cable

Dennis Cookson dennis at cooksons.net
Fri Mar 5 09:35:46 PST 2021

Clay,

I’m preparing to replace the whole steering chain and cable assembly on our boat shortly and have been looking carefully at the Edson quadrant. The cable clamps you refer to are on the take-up eyes which thread through the radial disk from above, but are adjusted and secured by two 1/2” nuts on the underside.  This where you would normally adjust the wire tension by loosening the outer nut first on each side, and tightening the inner nut as required before locking them together again.

As far as I can see the cable clamps could not possibly be adjusted while in place - there is insufficient access. When they were installed, they would have been fixed to the cables just behind the ‘eye’ of each rod before they are threaded into place from the top of the radial. If you don’t have sufficient scope to tension your cables using the adjustment nuts below, you may have to remove one or both take-up eyes and reposition the clamp(s). But there is approx 3” of adjustment on each take-up eye!

This article might help:  https://c320.org/article.php/20081024195231924 <https://c320.org/article.php/20081024195231924>. It’s also partly the reason I’m replacing my cables now even though they are working ok - they might be original and hence 20 years old.

Dennis Cookson