[C320-list] High Water Alarm

Stephen Cox scox at timmin.com
Wed Mar 17 20:59:06 PDT 2021

> We are looking at installing a high water alarm on our C320.
> West Marine sells a specific unit that sounds a horn when the
> water reaches a certain level; this is a separate circuit
> from the bilge pump wiring.  Our boat also has a light that
> comes on when the bilge is running (in AUTO mode).
> Could a horn be hooked up to the light circuit to sound when
> the bilge is on?

Yes, providing that the combined current draw of the light and the horn are within the ratings of whatever switches on the light
now.  If you use something like
https://www.jameco.com/z/11D3120-LF-TA-Jameco-Valuepro-Audio-Indicator-and-Alerts-Buzzer-Piezo-25mA-12-Volt-Screw-Panel-Mount_249498
.html which draws 25ma at 12v it should be OK.  This model has two connections, one continuous sound, one pulsed, so you can
differentiate between two devices if your alarms switch to ground or just choose the sound of your choice for one.

Regards,

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141