[C320-list] Question on MMSI Numbers

Jeff Smith jeffreyssmith at live.com
Mon Mar 22 18:15:07 PDT 2021

On my boat I was able to reprogram my MMSI in my VHF myself. I requested my MMSI through BoatUS. As others have noted, if you get your MMSI through BoatUS, it is only good domestically. Because I am installing AIS and I plan to travel to the Caribbean, I just ordered a new MMSI through the FCC. Good luck using that website, but I can tell you if you do not have a radiograph operator’s license currently, the license and the permit for the boat is $220. The license is indefinite but the permit must be renewed in 10 years. I think the fee for the permit for the boat is $70 and the $150 is for the lifetime license.

Jeff, ’94, #121