[C320-list] Source for replacement Aqua Lift muffler?

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 14:09:25 PDT 2021

 Kevin-
We bought our 1994 C320 four years ago (early 2017).  The wet muffler (probably original) obviously had been patched (epoxy?) in several spots, including around the inlet nipple, before our ownership (and probably before 2008 which precedes the owner directly before us). So, I had figured this definitely would be an issue I would quickly need to address.  Well, I did not address it, but have watched it closely.  I even installed a new heat exchanger tank on our boat engine and wound up removing and installing a new wet exhaust hose to the patched muffler inlet nipple (very carefully) from the exhaust elbow as part of that work.  Still no problem!
I know others have warned about this, but I have seen absolutely no signs of imminent failure (hopefully saying this does not jinx me).  That said, I believe going through Catalina Direct or Catalina Yachts is the only way to get the Aqua Lift muffler. However, I believe I read that someone successfully installed a Vetus muffler?  Note that this does not mean that I am recommending that alternative. Also, Catalina Direct recommends against it.
Dave Hupe1994 C320 (#32).