[C320-list] Yanmar 3GM30F Exhaust Elbow/Riser

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Thu Mar 25 00:12:16 PDT 2021

Dennis
I have the same on my 1996 #366
Rather than a woven sleeve, mine has a  fibeglass woven “wrap” of 2” wide tape wound around it.
When I bought the boat I could see some rust staining on the exit side so I unwound the wrap and the elbow looked awful!
I unbolted it and the good news was that internally it looked vey good. No sooting up either.
I used a wire brush and it cleaned up really well, so the poor appearance was just surface corrosion. The riser is stainless .
I suspected a tiny crack may have developed where the water inlet joined the main exhaust tube so had that rewelded for a couple of beers!

All now good

However I too struggled to find a replacement (especially as I’m not in the USA) and wondered if the other type would be suitable.  In the end, had the repair not worked, I was going to get a local fabricator/welder to make me a replacement.

I believe  the wrap is simply insulation to stop damaging levels of heat until the water gets injected.

I actually think it a simpler and more elegant design that the other type, with less to cause problems

Hope that’s useful

Graeme

Sent from my iPad