[C320-list] Water Heater By Pass

Christian ccaper at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 16:44:36 PST 2021

I've read the threads on by passing the water heater, and looks like there
is no impact to engine cooling.  Just curious if there are any cons (minus
not having hot water) to by passing the water heater?  My 320 is a Perkins,
#138.  I mainly weekend sail, and have yet to use hot water in 5 years of
owning, and tired of winterizing the heater every fall, when I never use
it.  I'm thinking about installing valves so I could still use the heater
easily if needed, but on seasons I don't, don't have to winterize the
heater.  Any cons to by passing the heater? Would the heater by more prone
to rusting or just going bad with no water in it for long periods, etc?

Thanks,
Christian Caperton
1994 C320 #138 "Canuck" Monroe Harbor, Chicago, IL