[C320-list] Stuffing box nut replacement?

Jeff Smith svsailmates512 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 21:04:28 PST 2021

I am not versed on the stuffing box but I think the concept is the propeller shaft extends through the stuffing box, which contains the packing material, and then there is a jam nut and a packing nut that you use to tighten everything. Is it possible to take the propeller shaft loose from the coupler (leave the coupler attached to the engine), retract the propeller shaft enough so that you can re-threat the stuffing box (or replace it with one from CD)? You could borrow the Association tool and change your cutless bearing while you are at it (if it has not been replaced in awhile).

Again, I have a dripless so this may be worthless advice. But I would try this, or something like it, before I removed the coupler from the transmission/engine and had to worry about alignment issues.

Jeff
’94, #121