[C320-list] Rudder play

RONALD HODEL ronandgail2 at me.com
Sat May 1 07:58:54 PDT 2021

Hi all as well,

I’ve got a tiny little wobble as well, only as certain points of sail and with certain wave patterns. I don’t think it’s a big deal (and my diver says the rudder doesn’t wobble any more than “everyone else’s”, however, I don’t like it and my thought is a little wobble could, over time, become a bigger wobble. I’ve inspected the cables (yes, use a cloth) and the chain as well. (Don’t ignore the chain - that’s what broke once on our Catalina 30). We have to haul out anyway and so we’re having the rudder dropped, teflon shives professionally put in place and get everything thoroughly inspected. The service manager in the yard in Marina Del Ray knew exactly what to do - they’ve obviously done it many times over the years.

Happy Sailing
Ron Hodel
#1070 Lokomaikai
Dana Point, CA