[C320-list] Replacing Stem Fitting

mseyler at cox.net mseyler at cox.net
Sun May 2 22:03:00 PDT 2021

I have discovered a crack in the stainless steel stem fitting where the
forestay attaches to the deck, and will need to replace it.  I am aware that
Catalina Direct offers a fitting, and have a request pending to Catalina
Parts department for a quote on a replacement fitting.  But my question is,
how would I get to the nuts on the bolts holding the fitting to the stem?
As best I can tell there is no access unless I could reach all the way
around the from the aft side of the anchor locker, and I don't think my arms
are long enough.  Has anyone replaced this fitting on their 320? Do I need
to cut an access port in the front side of the anchor locker to reach the
underside of the fitting?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Seyler

S/V Reality,

Catalina 320, #232

New Orleans, LA