[C320-list] Flooded acid battery and refrigeration questions

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 15 13:30:09 PST 2021

H Scott:

With solar, or when the boat is plugged in all the time, it‘s a good idea to check the water levels every month. Some water will boil off naturally with constant charging.

You can buy a cheap tester at an auto store that will tell you whether you have bad cells in the batteries. If there are any, it’s probably smart to replace the entire bank. Batteries of different ages and types don’t charge together well.

I really wish Trojan golf cart batteries fit under the starboard settee. I had cheap Korean golf carts that only lasted a couple of years. So now I’m back to four group 24 deep cycle Interstates, which work well for what they are. I was told by a dealer that the large 4D Interstates our boat was designed for aren’t that reliable for some reason.

I installed the new Cold Machine nearly three years ago. It’s an easy upgrade with the newer no-leak connectors Dometic has. I believe it is much more efficient than the old units. Mine uses 35-40 amps a day in western Florida.

The only thing I would do differently is buy the largest possible evaporator so that we would have a larger freezer compartment. I chose the medium one.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows