[C320-list] Flooded acid battery and refrigeration questions

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Tue Nov 16 12:24:42 PST 2021

Jack, you can stop worrying about running the shore power charger and
solar charger at the same time. See
https://shop.pkys.com/multiple-charge-sources
<https://shop.pkys.com/multiple-charge-sources> for a good discussion.
There is no risk of overcharging from having two or more sources if they
are all regulated and properly installed.

When you say your fridge "runs all of the time" I assume you mean it is
on all of the time. The compressor should only run intermittently, and
the power requirements are essentially zero when the compressor is not
running.

Regarding the risk of overcharging because the fridge is pulling down
the voltage I don't think that makes sense. Overcharging occurs only at
voltages above the resting voltage of the fully charged battery, and
only if the battery is fully charged. There could be a risk that a not
too smart charger over-reacts to a temporary voltage drop by raising the
voltage to bulk levels. But that would happen after the load is gone and
the voltage is back up, not while the load is running.

--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653