[C320-list] Transmission oil

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 20 13:24:27 PST 2021

 I could not find the specific type recommended for my old Hurth (HBW50-2R) transmission when I wanted to change the transmission oil the first time.  The manual for my Perkins M30 engine specifies that "ATF Type A" fluid should be used.
I found this clarification about Type A  fluid "The Type A automatic transmission specification was created by General Motors in the late 1940's. All iterations of Dexron B, Dexron II and Dexron III ATF products are backward compatible with Type A and Type A , Suffix A fluids".  Also, I found this "DEXRON-VI can be used in any proportion in past model vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, in place of DEXRON-III (for instance, topping off the fluid in the event of a repair or fluid change). DEXRON-VI is also compatible with any former version of DEXRON for use in automatic transmissions"

I have been using Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (MaxLife™ Multi-Vehicle ATF is a full synthetic formulation with advanced additives to prevent the major causes of transmission breakdown and help extend transmission life. Developed to help prevent leaks, maximize transmission performance, reduce transmission wear, and maintain smooth shifting longer than conventional fluids. It is suitable for use in a broad range of ATF applications including most Ford, GM, Toyota & Honda models as well as Dex/Merc, Mercon LV and many more applications).

Dave Hupe
1994 C320 (#32)
Holland, MI