[C320-list] Raymarine EV100 Wheel Autopilot/B&G Vulcan

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Fri Nov 26 12:28:27 PST 2021

I have the Raymarine EV-100 and I agree with all the others. If I had to do over, I would take the time to install the below deck unit. I find the Wheel Pilot to be underpowered for all but calm seas. I use it primarily when motoring in calm weather or sailing on flat water and light winds. I often have issues with the lever coming disengaged as well. I never leave it unattended for more than a minute or two which kind of defeats the purpose of hands-free steering.

Regarding mixing brands, I have a Garmin MFD and it works just fine with my AP. I can steer a course, to a waypoint, and also relative to a wind angle. the NMEA sentences on the network should be standard and it should work for you.

Bottom line, if I had a do-over, and a higher budget, I would choose a below deck system.

--
Doug Treff
doug at treff.us