[C320-list] Raymarine EV100 Wheel Autopilot/B&G Vulcan

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 13:00:11 PST 2021

We have all Raymarine electronics so I can’t comment on compatibility.   We
also have the EV-100 Wheel Pilot.   The EV-100 has one pro and two fatal
flaws.   The first flaw is that it is underpowered for steering a 32’
sailboat in any significant wind.   My rule of thumb is if I have to reef,
then I probably can’t depend on "Otto" for steering.  The second flaw is
the lack of a rudder reference sensor as part of the standard installation
package.   Without a reference sensor, the autopilot is guessing at rudder
position.   This can lead to some crazy overcorrections, add in a little
weather helm and you will find yourself unintentionally jibing in no time.

The one pro of course….is the price.   Not just the price of the unit, but
the cost to install it if you are paying the yard.   Installing a below
deck hydraulic ram and the rudder reference unit is going to set you back
an additional couple grand easy if you have to pay the yard.

If you search you can find great info in past articles and emails on DIY
below deck installs.

Finally, if you decide to install the wheel pilot, I would strongly
recommend at least installing the rudder reference sensor.   I bought one
this year and the installation is on my to do list for this winter.

Regards

Troy Dunn
Hull #514