[C320-list] Raymarine EV100 Wheel Autopilot/B&G Vulcan

Ade Bateman ade.bateman at outlook.com
Fri Nov 26 14:13:38 PST 2021

Hi Mark,

As you can see from this interesting thread, and the previous versions of this question, there is little doubt that the below deck version is better. I don't think anyone disagrees with that. The main question is whether the wheel pilot can accommodate the sailing you want to do. Will you need the additional power? Is the compromise for not being able to use it in some situations worth the difference in cost? I installed the EV100, and I am happy with the installation. I would have preferred to install the below deck version, but at the time the cost was about 2.5x just for the parts, and the installation would have been more involved, so it was a choice between the wheel pilot and no autopilot. I don't doubt that at some point, when I can afford the time and expense, I will upgrade, but for me for now I am happy with what I have. I'm usually sailing in relatively calm waters and the primary reason I wanted the autopilot was to help depart and return to the marina.

As far as interfacing with B&G, as others have said, the NMEA sentences are the same so that shouldn't be a problem. The ACU-100 controller requires separate power, and then you'll need an adapter to connect both the ACU-100 and the EV-1 sensor, which use SeaTalkNG, to your NMEA-2000 backbone (alternatively, if you're already using SeaTalkNG for other sensors then you're probably already set on that front). Raymarine has a variety of adapters, both cables and solid connectors for connecting to SeaTalkNG.

Ade.