[C320-list] Boom Furler

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Mon Oct 11 07:20:56 PDT 2021

Bruce

The PO fitted a boom furler to my C320 but I doubt the specific model (Sailtainer 2000) is available in the USA. However there may be some learning points that are useful to you that apply to all makes, so heres my two cents worth!

The in boom furler will need its own sail -  i don't think you will be able to convert an existing one, but no reason why it cant have the diamond etc -  mine does.

The angle of the boom when furling is CRITICAL. If it is more than 90 deg from the mast the sail will roll forward as it rolls up and jam. If it is much less than 90 degrees then it will pull away from the track and at the very least cause friction. Mine has to be between 87 and 89 degrees and this is achieved by a fixed vang.  (No kicker) This limits sail control

Similarly the outhaul control is lost or reduced. On mine you can adjust the outhaul tension but its a job with a hex-key at the start of the day, not mid-sail

On mine the furling drum is at the clew end of the boom, not at the mast. This can lead to a lot of line friction (lots of blocks etc) some torsional ‘give’ on the rotating boom ‘foil’  and even, if under serious load some bending of the boom.  As a result we can ONLY furl our sail (or reef it) with the boat headed directly into wind so that the sail is luffing.

On the above point because the sail feeds off a roll, it cant be fed into the mast track without a kink in the bolt rope. So on mine there is a ‘dummy track” that fits into the mast and the sail luff  bolt rope slides up and own this. It is difficult to explain in words but if the boom is not directly fore/aft in line with the axis of the boat there will be a glitch in smooth running. So as above, the boat needs to be head to wind AND the boom lined up fore and aft -  you cant get away with (say) heading 30 degrees to the wind and letting the boom swing out 30 degrees

On the plus side - infinite reefing.  If it jams -  let go the halyard just like a conventional sail. Fully battened

On the negative side, you need to keep tension on the halyard whilst furling in order to ensure that the sail wraps tight. The PO bought this to help him sail single handed. I’m not sure that you can easily use it single handed unless winds are very light.

I’ve got the original boom and vang so could go back if I wanted, but that would mean a new sail. I’ll probably stick with it, but I would never have bought it myself.

I’m sure there are MUCH better boom reefing systems out there now, but if you are aware of some of the pitfalls it may help you choose.

remember what works on the demonstrator stand at the boat show doesn't necessarily work in a 25 kt wind!

Friction is the enemy!

UK agent marketing spiel here: https://jeckells.co.uk/boom-reefing-system/

Graeme
#366, 1996