[C320-list] Reverse or neutral transmission while sailing

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 14:32:58 PDT 2021

I don’t know anything about boat propellers but I do know that a fixed pitch aircraft propellor on a shut down engine produces less drag when windmilling than when stopped. It’s counterintuitive because when it turns it seems you’re getting work out of the system but tests have shown this to be the case.
If (a big if) the same holds true for water, then there’s no advantage to preventing it from turning and if the engine maker says let it turn then why buck the system?
Graeme
#366, 1996

Sent from my iPad