[C320-list] Routing depth transducer cable

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 22 14:57:08 PDT 2021

So my next project is replacing a balky B&G depth sounder with one that doesn’t lie to me and say I’m in 2 feet of water when I’m in 8 feet. It’s original to the boat and ready for retirement.

Anyhow, I have a Raymarine I40 with the shorty transducer. I’m going to shoot it through the hull instead of using a through hull. Believe it or not, it works. You stick the transducer to the inside of the hull with silicone or part of a toilet wax ring.

I’ve already found a working spot, the flat area just to port of the existing transducers. Reads fine. But, once I route the 30 feet of transducer cable through the port settee and up behind the electrical panel and cabinets, it doesn’t reach all of the way to the pedestal.

The transducer cable is a simple three wire, with the ground bare wire. I’ve read that you can extend the cable, but the advice is vague. Is a special cable needed, or just tinned 18 gauge triplex? I’m assuming a terminal bar would be better than butt connectors.

Another possibility is a more direct route to the pedestal. Has anyone found one? A third is a good spot for the transducer in a flat spot. Every one I’ve looked at is too close to the keel.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows