[C320-list] Cutless bearing replacement

Joe Luciano jnluciano at comcast.net
Tue Apr 26 09:10:36 PDT 2022

Hi Graeme,

I’ve done this job twice on my 2005 C-320.  Once with the loaner tool from the club, and once with my own tool.  I’m sure you loosened the two set screws before getting started.  Both times I’ve done it, the bearing eases its way out, and every few times you put pressure on it, it makes a slight pop as it works its way out.  But it never jumps much of a distance.  I never looked into the manufacture of the collets used in the tool, but they could be a hardened steel to prevent any bending.  The large yoke and bolts of the tool put a great deal of force on the collets.  That was why I suggested you might want to purchase just the 1” shaft collets that are available and weigh very little to ship.  Sorry it didn’t work out for you this time around.

Joe Luciano

Sent from my iPhone