[C320-list] Cutlass bearing replacement

Chuck Mueller katchu at chartermi.net
Tue Apr 26 13:04:43 PDT 2022

Graeme:
I replaced my original bronze shaft with a stainless steel shaft a few years ago.  I cut the bronze shaft out, but was able to insert the new shaft without dropping the rudder.  It was really tight and I was a little concerned as to whether it would fit, but did.  Note that the shaft goes in before installing a new cutlass bearing, or the shaft won’t get by the rudder.  My bearing had been replaced a few times earlier and slid out smoothly.  Make sure that the set screws are backed off though.

Chuck Mueller
Northwind #676 2000
Holland, MI

Message: 4