[C320-list] Linear autohelm

Stephen Cox scox at timmin.com
Mon Aug 22 07:57:47 PDT 2022

> Stephen
>
> As with everything in life we need to balance risk and
> consequence against the cost and practicality of protecting against it

Agreed

> Perhaps sailing is not for you unless you have unlimited
> funds to throw at it?

I certainly don't have unlimited funds.  However the wheelpilot solution proved unsuitable for the waters I sailed in and so I
subsequently went to a hydraulic system having no further faith in systems that at the time used small plastic gears.  My autopilot
controller was bought second hand and the hydraulic linear drive was sourced from a closing down sale at a ridiculously cheap price.
The main point though is that both units were compatible and suitably rated.

> I'm happy with my linear drive as a reasonable additional
> cost with minimum complexity to give performance that far
> exceeds that of a wheel pilot.

As I am happy with mine.  I do struggle however with Greg Arnold's proposition to couple an under rated controller with the more
powerful Type 2 linear drive.

> Plenty of sailors have boats with no autopilot at all

My requirement is to be able to sail longer distances with inexperienced or no crew.  As well, back issues meant I couldn't stand at
a helm for hours on end so an appropriate autopilot was a requirement for me.  My only regret was the installation of a wheelpilot
initially.  In hindsight, going direct to an underdeck unit of either type would have been a smarter move for me.

> Regards
>
> Graeme
> #366, 1996

Cheers,