[C320-list] Linear autohelm

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon Aug 22 17:44:12 PDT 2022

Hi John,

I have quite a lot of information on installing the Raymarine EV-200 system on the C320. I'd be happy to chat with you and answer any questions you might have. I used information from Scott Thompson, Allan Field, and others and refined the process quite a bit.  This installation approach keeps it out of the way, without interfering with access to the aft locker and only minimal reduction in lock to lock steering.

My photo album with a ton of pictures and measurements here.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KyYK2v2nJy9eU7idA

As you can see, the aft wall is sandwiched between an aluminum plate inside the aft locker and with a finished stainless steel plate inside the aft cabin to create a solid mounting point for the base of the Linear Drive unit.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gBPkaJZq7FEDLV1P7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gHa8KBLrrcWXVN4s8

Here is the tiller arm I modified and the set of backing plates I fabricated for Bill Culbertson. The brushed stainless steel plate is on top of the heavy aluminum backing plate, and has the protective plastic on it in this picture.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HVGNA44qzMPkRFrp6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rj8YjT7W1p3JfpXr9

The standard Edson tiller arm 926-10-610-MKII is a great tiller arm for this application. While it is too long out of Edson factory, the place where the linear drive bolt attaches for this boat allows for the excess tiller length to be removed without compromising the tiller so that it clears the aft cabin bulkhead. The bronze bushing made to fit in the tiller arm gap is a pretty important detail. This protects the drive bolt from being stressed and prevents the channel from being deformed when the nut on that bolt is tightened. I have pictures of a Catalina factory install where they didn't use a bushing so you could see what happened over a 10 yr span. Not critical and unlikely to fail, but not ideal.

My advice is that if you can afford the EV200 system, you won't be disappointed and it should be quite reliable and perform well in conditions that would challenge you more than you'd like. Like I said earlier, the electric Type 2 linear drive with the ACU200 has proven to be very reliable and a great fit for the C320.

-Jeff Hare