[C320-list] Adhesive to use to re-glue insulation to fridge doors/lids

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Tue Feb 8 10:39:07 PST 2022

Hi David,

This might be a good opportunity to improve the insulation at the same time.
We made a new set of teak ice box covers for a Douglas 32 back a while ago.
We used a product called FOAM-It from a company called "Smooth-On" to
re-insulate the existing fiberglass forms that contained old Styrofoam.

https://www.smooth-on.com/products/foam-it-4/  This is the product we used.
I think we just bought the trial size, would probably need 2 for the 320.

This was on Mark & Deb Hood's old boat.  Pics of the project are here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4xH6hLqPd3Sf1y84A

As for reattaching them, you could probably just use a bead of 4200, but be
sure to trace out the original locations and mark which cover and
orientation they came off of.

That's probably what I would do knowing only what you told us up till now...

As a side note, If you unscrew and remove the breadbox, you'll notice a
double wall with a gap between the galley wall and the cockpit locker wall.
You can insulate the back side of the fridge wall and maybe stop the
condensation in the aft cabin with Great Stuff "Big Gap Filler".  You'll
probably want to take some fiberglass insulation batting and poke it down
into that crack towards the bottom of the gap to give this expanding foam a
place to stop and sit while it expands.  That way it won't just drop down
into the bilge area. Once you have sprayed a little in and it expands, now
you can fill the rest of the back side of the fridge.  Maybe that'll stop
the condensation that tends to form on the cushion back corner in the aft
cabin.

-Jeff Hare