[C320-list] Is My Boat Big Enough

Michael Leschisin mleschisin at imagestudios.com
Thu Feb 17 10:49:21 PST 2022

This time of year with subzero windchills and short daylight hours I start overdosing on Youtube sailing vlogs and dreaming of sailing off to Caribbean waters with our Catalina.  I’m hoping to someday pull the plug on the Great Lakes, drift down the Hudson and make that happen.

We bought our 320 about five years ago and have had a great time sailing the Great Lakes both overnighting and daysailing and the boat leaves little to be desired.
Keeping in mind that the bigger the boat, the more everything costs, (slip fees, bottom paint, sails, etc.) the 320 seems the perfect compromise between budget, seaworthiness and space.  I’m curious to hear however, what first hand experience forum members might have cruising, living aboard, Island hopping, etc. on 320s.  I don’t foresee crossing oceans with my boat, and from what I have gathered through experience and discussions I believe that Bahamas/Caribbean coastal cruising is well within the capabilities of the 320, but I’m also wondering about the livability factor.  I would foresee a scenario of anchoring out for a string of days, then pulling into a Marina for water, provisions, fuel; like we do now on the Great Lakes.  It seems that storage might be the one consideration that would be limiting, but there is no teacher like experience.  How far have you cruised, what is your longest live aboard, what are the limitations of the boat, what is the worst weather you’ve experienced?  Is this a realistic prospect for the 320 or should I be looking at something with more space and more systems?  If you’ve done any amount of cruising on your 320, what upgrades have you made; solar, tankage, navigation?  I know everything on a sailboat is a compromise and everyone’s opinions will vary, but I’d love to hear any and all first hand experience cruising with this boat.

Thanks for any input you might have,

Michael Leschisin

Wild Blue Yonder
Menonminee, MI