[C320-list] Garhauer Davits Installation Height

cinichols at btinternet.com cinichols at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 24 08:19:05 PST 2022

We had our davits lowered as the PO had placed the lower mounting point high up on the vertical transom meaning that most of the torque / weight on them was taken on the upper pushpit rail - did not seem like a strong solution to me.  Also it meant the dinghy was high up and obscured the view aft.

We lowered the davits and chose the point at which, when standing in the floating dinghy we can stand up and reach slightly above head height to grab the lifting lines which we leave strung athwart-ship to the opposing davit when not in use. This has proved to be a really useful height for us - easy to see aft, can quickly chuck fenders in the dinghy for short day-sails and, when docked stern-to with a boarding plank from transom-step to the dock, we can use the overhead handhold to make the transit safely (dinghy having been lowered /towed before docking).

For added strength (further reducing the load on the pushpit) we also installed an almost vertical brace-bar to each of the transom side steps (ours do not open).

This might be too low for permanent solar installation however...

Chris Nichols
+44 7963 190 667