[C320-list] Single Handed Sailing

Bob Borelli cassattc22 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 21 07:11:14 PST 2022

I always sailed small boats, 14' boats.
Moved up to a C22 before the C320.
I sail both like a small boat.
I think of my C320 as a small boat and I sail it that way.
It is a beauty.

Reef early!
Know the weather before you go, listen & pay attention to the wind, weather & depth as you sail.
Remember it sure is easy to shake out a reef then to put one in.
Better to have and not need.
The boat sails well with both reefed jib & main.  Balanced, very nice!

In an overpowering gust, the boat should turn up into the wind, Auto helm or brake the wheel, move forward & release jib sheet & drop traveler, then main sheet.
Let her luff.

I've had to drop the genoa jib in a blow because the furler jammed.
Two different occasions.
Sail came down quick and stuffed most of into the fwd hatch.

The main comes down quick and the Dutchman would keep the sail furled enough so I would not be sliding over sails in the cockpit.
The main sail controls are easy to handle, I trim the main to the wind while luffing on the mooring.

Bob Borelli no. 209